5 must have features in phones for the elderly
Mobile phones aren’t the sole provision of the young; increasingly the elderly are using phones to connect and engage with their family, friends and wider world.
When shopping for a phone for the elderly, there are a few key features which your choice of phone must have; regardless of whether you choose an Ino mobile elderly phone or a senior phone that is 3G enabled, these features are critically important.
- One touch video calling is a great feature to have on a phone for the elderly; it’s a straight-forward, quick way to maintain that personal touch with friends and relatives.
- Access to photos of loved ones posted on social media is important too.
- Taxi-booking with addresses entered beforehand, are great for getting out and about safely for the elderly.
- It’s also essential that your phone for the elderly, 3G or otherwise, can be used to order groceries and offers easy access to entertainment channels including the news.
- An SOS button is also a must so as to call for help during an emergency.
Apart from the above-mentioned 5 features, it is a good idea to include Chinese, Malay and Tamil apart from English language in the phone, as Singapore is a multi-lingual country,
Given that vision problems increase as we age, a larger screen size and bigger buttons like that of a tablet can mitigate the problems faced with the smaller screen of a phone. All the phone features that are important for elders are also compatible with a tablet and can often be a better option than a phone for elders.